Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Weapon Mods Dark

"Atta. Atta, what the hell is this? Are you in the building? I can't get in. I can not get in to the building. Solidarity? Atta it is fucking- sorry, sorry. It is cold out here. Cold! As in c-o-l-d!"

A pirate was trying to hand me something. A man dressed as a pirate was trying to hand me a red flyer with the words STOP SOPA printed in black. He was undeterred by my speaking on the phone, and I was even speaking to a real person on the other end.

"I don't want that. Sir, I don't want that. Atta, what is this? There are chains on the doors, are you inside? How did you get inside? Just tell me, I want to come in. Is this Slim? Did Slim do this? Is he shutting us down? Is he getting rid of me? Just tell me what's going on up there?"

The new guy from across the hall was standing next to me now, looking up at the building. The pirate did not approach him. "Do you know what's going on here?" I asked, holding the phone away from my ear. I couldn't remember his name, just that he'd started writing for OADS a few months back. I think he was surprised when he realized I was talking to him, he was acting like I'd just asked if he knew CPR and the answer was No.

Back to the phone: "Atta, come down and let us in. Me and the guy, the guy from across the hall. Twenty-four hours? What? We've got work to do. I'm not...No. We're not getting pulled into all that. Besides, if Congress did that, they'd have some sort've cyber war on their hands. So- what? I said 'so', so, I'm not too worried. You worried?" That last I directed at the OADS guy, who was clearly wondering why I was speaking to him. Maybe it's because he was standing two feet away from me, jackass. This guy must be a blast at parties.

"Atta? ...Atta?" I slid my phone back into my pocket, making a 'stop' gesture at the pirate so he didn't take it as an invitation to speak. "She's not letting us in. Can you believe that?" I said to no one in particular, even though the two of them were looking at me, now.

I was getting hungry, usually, when Atta wasn't staging political protests, I had had my yogurt and granola by now. "Let's get something to eat," I said to OADS.

"I'm not hungry," he said.

"Fine, you can watch me eat," feeling bad, "You can come too, Pirate."

No comments:

Post a Comment