Thursday, July 12, 2012

The Amazing Spider-Man

So, Spidey gets the "Batman Begins" treatment and the Sam Rami legacy is silently put to bed. But despite Marc Webb changing his name to direct the newest (I'm only assuming), does he get it right?

Largely, no.

But in 90 degree weather, who's complaining? Hell, I'd see a Tyler Perry movie to beat the heat. (Just kidding.)

Rami got it right the first time because he knew Peter Parker. Webb does not. And that's not the fault of Andrew Garfield, our new wall-crawler. Garfield turns in a great performance that plays well against the other actors, especially heavy-hitters Sheen and Fields. However, at some point I think Marc took Andrew aside and said, "I need more douchebaggery".

I understand there are those that want a darker Spider-Man, but that's not Peter. I'm glad Webb didn't beat us over the head with another origin story, and it was nice and tight in the retelling, but there wasn't much of the pathos of a young man who can't get it right. Who is trying his damnedest and just can't do it. That is why we relate to Spider-Man as a whole. What we get with Amazing is a young man who is easily angered and troubled. Maybe they were just aiming for the Hot Topic crowd.

The Lizard. The Lizard looked like a stunt-double for the Abomination from the Hulk movie. It's no wonder he didn't get any screen time in the trailers. Also, taking his motivation from selfish (I just want my goddam arm back!) to philanthropist (There will be no more outcasts!) was a bonehead move. The one thing Webb did borrow from Rami was continuing to give his villains the I'm-a-good-person-but-the-voices-in-my-head-control-me treatment. Please.

All in all, this movie is too dark for kiddies and too dumb for adults. So maybe it is just aimed at an age group that still wants to save the world.

The best thing about this movie? Spider-Man 3 is no longer the last Spidey movie I saw in the theatre. And for that I say Thank you, Marc Webb.

2 comments:

  1. You are dead on about the lizard man. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make me laugh. I would have to say that I agree with you most of the way. Especially now that SpiderMan 3 is not the latest and will never be the greatest of the tales. I really did like the first Sam Rami one better. I do appreciate the much improved chemistry between Peter and his latest gal pal. It was never there with Toby and Kirsten, which is SO strange because they were actually a couple. Makes me wonder...but that is for a different kind of blog.

    ReplyDelete