Sunday, October 14, 2012

Uncharateristik






That is Daredevil speaking to Spider-Man back in 2006 using an epithet that could alienate many readers. Why did the editors of Marvel let that one slide? Is it because "retarded" wasn't all that offensive six years ago? Or did they just let the writer, Kevin Smith, do what he wanted to? Or maybe it wasn't any of that.

The only reason it even made me stop to consider was that it was Daredevil saying it. I'm assuming you all know that Daredevil is handicapped; that he's blind? Right, just checking. It struck me as odd that someone who was handicapped would say that. Or has this modern society made me hyper aware of politically incorrect gaffes? Am I hinged on the precipice of offense, waiting? Is Daredevil running for office? is Kevin Smith? I'm not sure.

I was surprised that it gave me pause. I wonder if it derailed me the first time I was reading it? I somehow doubt it.

What I wanted to hit on today is that we are not bound by who we are. Our definitions of ourselves should be fluid. Yes, you should have ideals and beliefs and be ready to defend them. But if a blind super-hero who is lauded for making a good example of how truly capable people are despite their disabilities can throw around "retarded", well then a vegetarian can have a piece of bacon.

The best part of all is that it will be rewarding to get outside yourself for just a few minutes. You recyclers? Oh the catharsis of throwing something away! You loners? Time to accept that invitation! Cynics? Oh yes, it is high time you forwarded that chain email on to another thirty people!
And for me? That means I can walk into Wal-Mart and make a purchase, just any ole thing I want.

I wrote this entire post because yesterday on the elevator I said, "Going down?" to one of the guys from Orbital Anvil Drop Station and he replied, "That's what she said."

I'm just trying to make sense of this world, Readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment